What you need to know about renting in Jersey
When you are considering renting a property in Jersey, its useful to have the correct paperwork ready for your lease so it can be actioned as soon as possible.
Landlords and estate agents will require the following documents when preparing a lease for a prospective new tenant in order to comply with the current Anti Money Laundering legislation as well as provide comfort regarding their suitability and solvency.
You will be asked to provide the following documents:
- Original of photographic ID e.g. Passport
- Copy of Utility bill with proof of current address
- The name, address and email address of a previous landlord if you have rented before so that the agent/landlord can request a reference. (this is very important if you are new to the Island)
- The name, address and email address of a third party (NOT a family member) who would be able to provide a personal reference for you
- Details of your bank account so that a credit check and bank reference can be requested
- If the lease is going to be in the name of your employer, the name, email address and contact details of the person who will be handling this is required so that we can liaise with them directly.
- Date on which you wish to commence the lease
- Copy of your Housing Licence if the property you are going to rent is registered on the Local Market.
It is highly recommended that you have this paperwork prepared before viewings are undertaken as a delay to starting to draft a lease (which is what the above information is required for) could result in you missing out on property that you want due to the speed that the rental property market operates.
For independent and confidential advice please contact:
Office: +44 (0)1534 854574